Easy Ways to Use Herbs and Edible Flowers Every Day
1) Add chopped fresh herbs to a tomato, cheese, and onion sandwich.
2) Garnish vichyssoise with violets or chive blossoms; add long “sticks” of chives.
3) Garnish chilled summer soups with nasturtiums or chive blossoms.
4) Broil a quick bruschetta with mixed fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar, and very ripe Roma tomatoes.
5) Soften high-quality vanilla ice cream, add fuchsia, pansy, dianthus, or borage petals, and refreeze. Place a careful scoop on a cantaloupe or in stem glasses. Garnish with a matching flower.
6) Add chopped fresh or dried herbs to your favorite dumpling recipe for stew or thick vegetable soup.
7) Popcorn becomes special when you add finely chopped herbs and lots of black pepper to the melted butter before tossing.
8) For a different flavour allow some chopped lemon grass and Vietnamese cilantro to cool and steep overnight in hot crabapple juice. Strain and prepare jelly as usual.
9) Combine cooked new potatoes and green beans with butter, lemon juice, and chopped marjoram, rosemary, and thyme.
10) Brush 2 sliced bagel with oil and sprinkle with chopped basil, oregano, and thyme with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese and broil.
11) Herb jelly may be made from your favorite recipe for mint jelly. Use your favourite herb or combination of herbs in place of mint.